WordPress is a platform that is always preyed on by hackers to hack. Therefore, the security of websites powered by WordPress is a vital aspect. There are various forms of attacks that can damage a website. Attacks like Brute Force Attacks, WordPress Core Vulnerabilities, SQL Injection Attacks, Plugin and Theme Vulnerabilities, and many such. Among all these one such attacks is considered the most harmful one, ‘Eval Base64_Decode Attack’.
What is an Eval Base64_Decode Attack?
Eval Base64_Decode Attack is a PHP attack that is clouded by the base64 encoding scheme. When a user opens up such an infected website it immediately directs the user to lose all the confidential and important information. Such attacks allow the hackers to gain access to the user’s PC and have a look at the important and confidential information of the user. The attack also allows the hacker to modify the original files of the website and inject malicious code into them. This leads to the display of unwanted and inappropriate information on the website. This can ruin the reputation of the owner and the first face of the business. Let us have a glance at some of the reasons why such an attack damages the site completely:
- An outdated version of the WordPress
- A vulnerable account of admin
- Usage of old themes using old PHP scripts
- Not renewing themes
- Form of hosting (shared, dedicated, virtual)
How does the Hack Works?
Base64_Decode Attack deliberately puzzles up the malicious code making it difficult for a professional to identify the codes. This gives access to the hacker to inject any malicious code and run any PHP function. This also allows the hackers to make designated changes and modify the files according to their convenience.
Steps to Clean base64 Hack
- Updated WordPress Version– an updated version of WordPress allows one to use new themes and plugins. This also helps to get rid of any loopholes in the previous version.
- Backup– having a backup of all the PHP files is necessary before performing any form of modifications to the website. This helps one to differentiate between malicious and original files.
- Use TextCrawler– TextCrawler immediately finds out the malicious codes and helps one to replace them with the original one. This regains the original data of the website. after this process zips the original files and extracts them on the website.
Ways to Prevent Recurring of such Hacks
- Security of Host– one should be acquainted with the security of the host. This helps to identify the time required to patch the loopholes when a vulnerability is identified.
- Virtual-dedicated Hosting– using this form of hosting leads to lesser people using the same web host. This also lessens the number of attacks and lower the damage caused to websites attached to the same host.
- Updated Third Party Applications– updated applications help one to stay updated about the notifications informing about updated versions of the application available. This helps to patch the loopholes to hack a website.
- Audit the code– this helps to get rid of vulnerabilities and chances of a website being hacked. If you are not able to do it then take professional help.
Let us have a look at some of the precautionary measures one needs to take to avoid the harmful damages done due to the base64 attack:
- Keep on updating the WordPress version.
- Install themes and plugins from a trusted source only.
- Have a check of the plugin before downloading it to ensure the complete safety of the website.
- Keep the notifications on for updating the WordPress version, themes, and plugins.
- Update core files of WordPress.
- Keep backing up the original data weekly or monthly to keep it safe and secured.
- Always use SSL to log in to your WordPress dashboard.
The following write-up shows up the information about how to get rid of a base64 attack and how to prevent it in the future. One should always be updated about the security of the website. This helps to prevent a site from being hacked and also to patch the loopholes that can be used to hack the website.